Knitting My Thoughts Together

Basically Just showing off my latest knits

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Faux Fire Place




Those of us who live in apartments during the winter know the disappointment of not having a fireplace to cuddle up in front of. Well I figured I would try my best to remedy this problem without buring down my apartment at the same time...I just knitted one! I just hang it on the tv and ta-da...a cozy fire. I must give credit where credit is due though...I did get the idea for this from the Fall 06 issue of knit1. The one in the magazine though did not have the brick border and I also changed the shape of the flames to make them look more animated. I must also give thanks to my roommate for suggesting doing a brick pattern because it turned out great in the end.

As for the construction it knitted up quite fast but it was pulling in the middle a lot due to the multiple number of yarns used and them all being different weights (you can still see the black swoops in..I could fix it but I am lazy). I ended up sewing a black fleece backing on the back which helped a lot. The magazine said to place a yard stick through the loop on top (made by sewing the top over) but I thought that would look tacky. So I instead used the sewing maching and some scrap fabric to make a sleeve and filled it with plastic pellet filling. I then sew the loop on top with the weighted sleeve inside it, since trying to tread it through the loop was impossible. I am really happy with the final outcome. I hope you all like it as well!!

2 Comments:

At 6:02 AM, Blogger RadioactiveUnicorn said...

What an awesome idea! Growing up my family didn't have a fireplace so at Christmas time we had a piece of plywood that we drew a fireplace on for stockings- this would have been way cooler. I like the brick detail, too!

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Samsara said...

Wow! That fireplace is amazing! Love the flames and the brick detail is inspired!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home